Wednesday, June 15, 2011

pets & neighborhood stuff

I have had a grand total of two job interviews while I was here, both for http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifwriting-related positions, and hopefully I'll hear back from some of the other places I've sent feelers. Ben continues to do well at work; the game he's working on was shown last week at the big industry trade show, and looked pretty good!

Ben and I have started looking into getting a cat and a dog, now that we are settled in and feeling more secure here in Montreal. Last weekend, we walked along Rue Sherbrooke to a local pet store who was having an adoption event. The cat people were running late, so we spent a couple of hours walking around.

Rue Sherbrooke is one of the main east-west streets in Montreal. Sherbrooke runs through Westmount and into Notre-Dame-de-Grace (NDG); a nice shopping district with a grocery store starts on the other side of the park from us. There are lots of little boutiques and coffee shops and such--Westmount is a pretty bougie neighborhood, so most of it is pretty high end. There are a couple of boulangeries --bakeries, patisseries--sandwich/deli-type shops, and even a poissonnerie--fishmonger (a poissonerie is not the same as a poisonerie, which is what I typed initially and I guess is where you go for poisons).

One thing that every neighborhood here in Montreal has is a depanneur. There are different assortments of depanneurs, but they're somewhere between a New York City boedga and a convenience store. We have one across the street from us, which we go to if, like, we are halfway through cooking something and realize we don't have any pasta/eggs/milk/bread/canned peas. If it's a staple, there's a good chance it's at the dep. And yes, we do call it "the dep."

Anyway our walk down Sherbrooke was fun because there was some sort of sidewalk festival going on, so there was lots of street food and stuff on sale and people to watch. There was even a bouncy castle/slide, and anyone who knows anything will tell you that a bouncy castle = a party. The whole day was cloudy with some small drizzles now and then, but the weather really held until maybe 4 or 5. Ben theorizes that since the winters are so harsh here, that Montrealers feel they really have to take advantage of the good weather while it lasts, which might be an explanation for why there are so many festivals and such here during the summer. It might also be because the weather isn't super hot so it's a nice place for everyone else to visit.

So finally the cat lady showed up and we looked at cats. There are a surprising number of polydactyl cats here in Montreal, which is just kind of strange. Did Earnest Hemingway come through and not tell anyone? Or is there a Quebecois author I've never heard of who had an enclave of chats up here? Who can tell.

Long story short, we're getting a cat! Her name is currently Sara but it will be changed when she arrives, as we know and are related to far too many Sara/hs for us to keep the name. Yay!

I've never had a cat that wasn't a barn cat, so I am still totally freaked out when someone tries to hand me a cat. I feel like...a 24-year-old male asked to hold a baby. Like, "What am I supposed to do with this?" You don't go around picking up barn cats; it's just a bad idea because they are working cats, not housepets. I like the idea of a cat coming and sitting on me or wanting attention, but the thought of picking one up feels disrespectful AND foolish. I am also not as used to the idea that having a cat means you have a box of poop in your house (or a box of delicious treats if you're a dog), so I am going to have to establish some new habits, as well as do some general research on good cat products.

2 comments:

  1. When I moved to Newport News was the first time I ever properly maintained a cat box. The one in Williamsburg was always gross and because it was gross, no one ever wanted to clean it. When I moved to Newport News I got all of a sudden very fastidious about the cat box b/c I was living with two dudes I didn't know very well except to know they were both very tidy; and one of whom wasn't a big cat person, and I didn't want to step on any toes. I initially just did it to be a good roommate, but pretty soon realized how much better it was for me too. The litter box never smelled, and I just built it into the routine of my day, doing it when I got home from work, or in the morning, or whatever. If you do it every day there's hardly ever anything big to scoop and it's not really gross. Then I'd change the litter out entirely every week or two, usually on the weekends, but I was less exact about that. It sounds silly and obvious, but having done it the other, haphazard "oh it smells I guess I should clean it" way for YEARS, I couldn't believe how easier it was when done daily.

    So anyway, yay kitties! I can't wait to find out how you like having a cat about on your lap or exploring your house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So based on your advice I'm trying to get into the habit of scooping and disposing whenever I spot that Ada has utilized the facilities, and thus far, it's working well. Especially since she must mount up every single speck of litter, so it's easy to spot. Mountain = scoop.

    ReplyDelete