Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Waiting Game

Right now we are doing some serious logistical juggling to ensure that we have a place to live right up until we move into our place to live...what an enormous pain.

Basically, we have to be out of our corporate housing by noon on the 26th, which is the same day we have permission to move into our new apartment. I'd really like to have some time cushion, but I'm not sure what time we'll be able to pick our keys up on the 26th. Hopefully this doesn't involve repacking the entire car and driving over to the new apartment and sitting outside of it for two hours.

Here's some kid arguing with a pineapple in French. Does anyone else remember this?



My favorite part is when Jacques starts nailing Ananas back into his crate after trying to logic him out of existence.

Ben appears to be settling into his new job well--he's learning new things and I think that's important for his happiness. I've heard in several places that the only place someone who speaks absolutely no French at all can work is a call center, and I'm just not doing that.

There's a local language academy that has a TESOL certification program that consists of about a month of full-time classes and classroom teaching. The program runs around $2500CN and takes up a lot less time overall than a lot of the certifications at other places, which run part-time and are completed over the course of a year.

Right now I am trying to decide if I want to take full-time intensive French lessons or get the TESOL Certification. What it boils down to, of course, is time and money; I can't afford to do both of these one-after-another. What I'm really interested in doing is working in a field where I can use both my writing AND ESL skills, but there's not a certification or graduate degree up here comparable to the Masters in Composition and Rhetoric that existed at Mason.

3 comments:

  1. Every single person who took a French class prior to 1998 will remember ananas. and his punishment crate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told you that Telefrancais was magnifique! All that damn show taught me was the words from the intro and the fact that ananas is the word for pineapple and not banana, as one might think. Confusing. It's like a Quebecois acid trip.

    ReplyDelete